Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why Ethiopia?

My name is Andrea,
I am the leader/co-leader of the team.

This journey started about a year ago.... or I guess 5 years ago with the adoption of my first son. My youngest 2 children are adopted from Ethiopia, and after our 2nd son came home I felt like God was asking me do something for more for Him.

I prayed quite a bit about it, and then approached our associate pastor with the question "What do you think about a mission trip to Africa?"

At the time I wasn't sure if Ethiopia would be the place, because there are so very many opportunities in Africa as a continent. He told me to speak to Tim, who had grown up in the Congo, and been back on mission trips in the past.

Tim and I spoke, we talked about what we might do, and who we had contacts with. We spoke about what God might be calling us to do. Everything pointed us back to Ethiopia so that's where we decided to go.

We spoke to some people about it, opened up to the church and other friends and formed a team.

We had our first real team meeting in June 2008. Our first fundraiser was a yard sale at the church. It was a huge success! Also a HUGE undertaking and God was faithful to so many prayers. :o)

After much research we decided to work with YWAM Ethiopia Adoption Ministry out of Washington, and the opportunities they offer to do ministry work in Ethiopia. We are very excited about the relationship.

The next fundraiser was a Spaghetti dinner, again God showed up! Of course!

We had a letter writing campaign, where several team members wrote letters requesting support. I will let those that got amazing responses talk about it. :o)

Our next fundraiser is another yard sale on March 6th. This will be at a home instead of the church, just so we can have it on a slightly smaller scale. :o)

I am also running in the Shamrock 1/2 Marathon in Virginia Beach and asking for sponsors. I have had some wonderful response already.

As you can see in this reader's digest version, God has been working in all of our lives, and truly calling us for some great stuff. We give Him ALL the glory! We have an amazing group of people excited to go and work.

We covet your prayers for our team and those that we will be ministering to!

No comments:

Post a Comment